Student-Friendly Condos for Rent in Singapore: Where to Live Near Universities
Staying near your campus makes all the difference.
Heading off to university is already exciting enough, let alone finding a new place to stay. Luckily, as mystifying as Singapore’s rental market is, it’s easy to get around. Not to mention, there are plenty of options if you’re looking for a Singapore condo rental. But the first step is always the hardest. So here are some student-friendly Singapore condo rentals to kick off your search.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Singapore Condo Rentals Near Universities
- Areas Close to Universities in Singapore
- Student-Friendly Condos for Rent in Singapore
- MetroResidences Singapore Serviced Apartments—Your Home Base for Travels Beyond
Benefits of Singapore Condo Rentals Near Universities
Before we get into the nitty gritty of looking for a condo apartment rental in Singapore, it helps to know why it can make a great difference in your academic pursuits. With assignments, quizzes, and exams, you need to get the most out of your time. Here’s how living in Singapore condo rentals near universities will help you excel in your studies, and in building the life you want:
1. Easier Access to Campus Facilities and Resources
As a student, there’s nothing more convenient than living close to your educational institution. You’ll save time on your daily commute, which means more time for studying, hanging out with friends, or participating in extracurricular activities on campus.
Plus, universities usually have top-notch libraries, labs, and sports facilities that you can easily access when you live nearby. After all, Singapore’s various universities are some of the best in Southeast Asia and the world, like the National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. So whether you need to hit the books, use specialized equipment, or work on your fitness, everything is just a stone’s throw away.
2. Stay Connected with Student Communities
Living near a university town can be an enriching experience too. You get to be part of a vibrant and diverse student community, with endless opportunities for making new friends, exchanging cultures, and having fun. Most universities in Singapore have music clubs, dance ensembles, and public-speaking groups. Some also have groups that explore health, wellness, and even faith.
So there are always plenty of networking opportunities that can help you further your craft, or your career. As you live in a Singapore condo rental near your university, you can attend seminars, workshops, or conferences and meet like-minded people and build connections that last.
3. Central Locations for Shopping, Dining, and more
Half the fun is outside the classroom, after all! Most university areas are well-connected by public transport. You can enjoy easy access to buses, trains, and even cycling paths, making it simple to explore the city’s hidden gems, be it at Holland Village, River Valley, or Farrer Park. In fact, the major universities in Singapore have their own MRT stations. With the new Jurong Region Line, even the far-flung NTU will get its own MRT station by 2028. Besides that, you can enjoy breezy access to buses and cycling paths too.
So be it if you’re looking for hawker centre classics or exquisite cuisine from across the world, you’d be well-fed on any budget. Besides that, you can easily immerse yourself in Singapore’s vibrant cultural scene, attend lectures, and workshops, or simply enjoy a night out at Clarke Quay or the shopping malls of Orchard Road.
Areas Close to Universities in Singapore
Most of the tertiary institutions in Singapore are located in West Singapore. While locales like Marina Bay often outshine the region, West Singapore has plenty of natural charms. Large swathes of West Singapore are untouched by modernity, like the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve and the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. But if you prefer the buzz of the urban landscape, Jurong East is the place the be. It’s going to be Singapore’s Second Central Business District. That said, there are the quieter suburban areas of Tiong Bahru, Redhill, and Bukit Timah too.
There are also a few universities around the city centre, namely the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, Lasalle College of the Arts, and Singapore Management University. So unless you can afford the expensive rental units in Orchard Road, Singapore River, you can look towards the city fringe, like Farrer Park, Newton, Novena, Paya Lebar, and Buona Vista.
Student-Friendly Condos for Rent in Singapore
For this article, we’re looking at the larger universities in Singapore:
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA)
- Lasalle College of the Arts
- Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS)
- Singapore Institute of Management (SIM)
- Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT)
- Institut Européen d’Administration des Affaires (INSEAD)
- École Supérieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciales (ESSEC)
For Students of NAFA, Lasalle, SMU
MetroResidences Farrer Park
Looking for a cosy and flexible living space that feels like a second home? Look no further than our co-living spaces at MetroResidences Farrer Park, where comfort and convenience come into harmony.
Taking inspiration from the lush flora of South Asia, we created three unique room types: Misaka, Lotus, and Rosewood. The co-living rooms are all private bedrooms spread across four levels, with the top level exclusively reserved for women.
Each room comes with thoughtfully curated furnishings that promote comfort and relaxation, along with a study table and a chair so you can still work on your assignments in complete privacy. Not to mention, all of our rooms come with high-speed internet, so you can not only keep up with your studies but stay connected with friends and family too. There are also washers and dryers in the communal areas.
- From MetroResidences Farrer Park, you can easily get to Bras Bash by bus. You can simply take the 139, 64, and 65 buses from Jalan Besar to get to Bras Basah, where the three universities are located. It only takes 15 minutes.
As a student, nothing will beat the pleasure of entering your own personal oasis. This stunning one-bedroom Singapore condo rental is housed within Sturdee Residences, a luxurious residential development at the heart of Farrer Park. This condo unit boasts a spacious living room, a fully equipped kitchen, a charming dining area, and a beautifully designed bathroom. And the best part? Take in the breathtaking, unobstructed panoramic views of the vibrant city from your own private balcony.
A premium Singapore condo development, Sturdee Residences offers a wide range of amenities and features. Dive into your day by taking a splash in the 50-metre lap pool. Craving for sun-kissed skin? There are sundecks by the pool for you to sink into the latest murder mystery novel.
Looking for a perfectly inspiring spot to study? On the 19th floor, there’s a Leisure Deck, Hammock Corner, and a Seating Alcove too. Or, throw a party to remember on the 29th floor, where there’s a Private Sky Lounge, Sky Dining, and Sky Bar that offers mesmerising views of the surrounding cityscape.
- It’s quite near to MetroResidences Farrer Park, so the directions are similar. To get to Bras Basah, take the 139, 64, and 65 buses from Jalan Besar.
Tucked away in a pristine residential haven in the coveted District 11, our serviced apartments at MetroResidences Newton are all meticulously designed studio apartments. All the studio rental units here come with a carefully curated selection of premium furnishings, designer decor, and top-of-the-line amenities, including fully-equipped kitchens, high-speed Wi-Fi, and 24-hour concierge services. With its serene surroundings and inspiring spaces, MetroResidences Newton is the perfect place for students to thrive in their academic pursuits while enjoying a balanced lifestyle.
- There are direct bus services from MetroResidences Newton to Bras Basah too. Take 124, 162, 167, and 518 on Newton Road, and it only takes 18 minutes.
The Central is located just atop Clarke Quay MRT. With its wide, expansive window, you get to enjoy the splendour of the Singapore River. Your student life is bound to be vibrant here. Clarke Quay is an exciting and dynamic locale famous for its bars and restaurants around the river bend, while all the galleries and museums at the Civic District are just a stone’s throw away.
This studio unit for rent features a spacious, open layout with elegant and modern furnishings, providing a relaxing and comfortable space for you to unwind after a long day. The high ceiling will clear your headspace after a long day of classes.
Equipped with high-speed internet and a fully-equipped kitchen, this studio for rent in Singapore is designed to keep you connected and productive during your stay.
- From The Central, you can simply walk to Singapore Management University in 15 minutes. To get to NAFA and Lasalle, simply take buses 147 or 166.
Nestled amidst the lush greenery of Mount Sophia, this studio for rent in Singapore at Sophia Hills is an absolute sanctuary at the heart of Dhoby Ghaut. There are shuttle bus services to Bencoolen and City Hall MRT stations, so you can get to wherever you need to go in Singapore in a breeze. If you need a quick grocery run, head downhill to Plaza Singapura, one of Singapore’s oldest malls along Orchard Road.
The condo studio rental is a dual-key unit, ensuring complete privacy for you. The main entrance is the only common area in the two-bedroom apartment, where the washer cum dryer is located. The studio apartment includes a single bed, a fully equipped kitchenette with a mini-bar, a small dining area, and a private bathroom.
When you’re tired of hitting the books, you can hit the gym instead. Sophia Hills is bursting with incredible amenities, such as a luxurious 50m swimming pool, a state-of-the-art gymnasium, a serene yoga deck, and invigorating fitness stations.
- To get to NAFA, Lasalle, or SMU, simply take the shuttle bus to Bencoolen MRT station. From there, you can easily navigate to the three universities.
For Students of NTU, SUSS, SIM, SIT
Situated just 5 minutes away from Jurong East MRT and Bus Interchange and the bustling commercial district, you can get everything you need in just a skip and a hop away from J Gateway. There are shops, cinemas and restaurants at your doorstep. If you need peace and quiet, the Jurong Regional Library is nearby as well.
If you just want to stay indoors and focus, we have one-bedroom apartments within this condo development. These rental units comprises a living room, a bedroom with a queen-sized bed, a bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen, and a balcony. But J Gateway boasts a plethora of amenities too, including a 50-meter lap pool, a fitness corner, and a tennis court.
- To get to NTU, get on the East West Line from Jurong East MRT, head westwards, and alight at Pioneer MRT. From there, you can take either Rider Green, or buses 179, and 179A from the bus stop on Exit A.
- To get to SUSS, get on the East West Line from Jurong East MRT, head eastwards, and alight at Clementi MRT & Bus Interchange. Get to Exit B, and take the 154, 184, or 52.
- To get to SIM, get on the East West Line from Jurong East MRT, head eastwards, and alight at Clementi MRT & Bus Interchange. Get to Exit B, and take the 154, 184, or 52.
- To get to SIT, get on the East West Line from Jurong East MRT, head eastwards, and alight at Clementi MRT & Bus Interchange. Get to Exit B, and take the 154, 184, or 52.
For Students of NUS, INSEAD, ESSEC
Alex Residences is where you can truly live to the fullest as you pursue academic excellence. Located in the city-fringe neighbourhood of Redhill, you can enjoy suburban comforts and relish the vibrance of this global cosmopolitan at Alex Residences. In just 5 minutes you can walk to Redhill MRT station (EWL18). From there, the rest of the city awaits.
With our 1-bedroom apartment for rent in Alex Residences, you’ll have a sanctuary where you can rest and recharge from all your hard work. The layout of the bedroom allows you to retreat in the way you need it. The bedroom, furnished with a queen-size bed, is sequestered away in its own alcove, with an exquisite bathroom attached to it. Or, you can take in panoramic views of the city on the balcony. Want to cook up a storm? The fully-equipped kitchen is ready for your tasteful concoctions.
On top of all that, there is a lap pool and BBQ Pavilions on the first floor. Not to mention, there are sky lounges sprinkled all through the 40 floors. You can enjoy the Meeting Square on the 4th floor, the Brew House on the 14th floor, and the Dining Pavilion on the 24th floor. And of course, who can forget the Sky Pool on the 40th floor. With views of both the city and the sea, the pool on the 40th floor is certainly one of the best swimming pools in a Singapore condo.
- To get to NUS, walk 5 minutes to Redhill MRT. From there, take the East West Line and head westwards to Buona Vista MRT Interchange. There, take the Circle Line to Kent Ridge MRT, where there are mutliple shuttle bus services to get around the campus.
- To get to ESSEC, walk 5 minutes to Redhill MRT. From there, take the East West Line and head westwards to Buona Vista MRT Interchange. From there, you can either walk South along North Buona Vista Road, or take buses 14, 198, 200, 91, or 95 from the bus stop at Exit D.
- To get to INSEAD, walk 5 minutes to Redhill MRT. From there, take the East West Line and head westwards to Buona Vista MRT Interchange. There, take the Circle Line to one north MRT, where you can simply walk to the campus.
For Students of SUTD
Parc Esta, an exquisite residential development nestled in the heart of Singapore’s prestigious District 14, offers international students a truly exceptional living experience. Sprawling across 3.5 hectares, you’ll be spoilt for choice with their wide range of amenities amidst its tropical allure. It has a 50-metre lap pool dotted with cabanas and lounges. There are a slew of fitness amenities too: a yoga pavilion, tennis courts, and a fitness suite. Need to get back to your research? Head on to the Wi-Fi Pavillion and access their stylish workstations for your groundbreaking work.
Situated merely minutes away from Eunos MRT station, commuting to SUTD and the rest of the island is a breeze. Paya Lebar, a buzzing commercial hub in the East is only one MRT stop away. There’s an MRT Interchange there as well, where you can take the Circle Line into Marina Bay Sands and to the museums and galleries at Bras Basah.
- To get to SUTD, walk to Eunos MRT and Bus Interchange. From there, take bus services 2 or 24.
MetroResidences Singapore Serviced Apartments—Your Home Base for Travels Beyond
Looking for your home away from home? Our Singapore apartment rentals and serviced apartments are perfect for a longer period of stay. We have properties in luxury developments across Singapore’s most coveted addresses: Bugis, Bukit Timah, Shenton Way, and Novena.
And, you can rest easy at any of our properties. We adhere to our strict Property Standards that account for the comfort and cleanliness of all our serviced apartments. Our fully-furnished apartments come with amenities like wi-fi, air conditioners, and a fully-equipped kitchen.