Updated on Mar 4, 2022
Unlike many counties who run managed quarantine accommodation, Japan has a trust-based system where you quarantine at home or have the flexibility to book something that suits your needs as long as it fits with the quarantine rules. (Border enforcement measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19)
The quarantine is for 7 days with the arrival day being day zero. Depending on the region(s) of travel prior to entering Japan, you may be required to stay at accommodation facilities designated by the quarantine station.
7 Days Quarantine
You must not have contact with anyone who you do not live with. (for 7 days after entry)
(a) You must stay at home or in accommodation.
(b) You must not have contact with anyone who you do not live with.
(c) You must not use public transportation*
*People who are quarantining at home/accommodation may use public transport to get to their place of quarantine within 24 hours of the negative PCR result upon arrival in Japan.
Border Relaxation News Summary
– In all cases, you must monitor your health condition for 10 days after entering Japan.
– Measures apply to Japanese nationals as well.
Vaccine-boosted (3-doses) travellers arriving from:
1. “Designated regions” (high-risk) need to quarantine at home for 7 days. This can be shortened with a negative test from the third day.
2. “Non-designated regions” (low-risk) No quarantine required.
Non-vaccine-boosted (2 doses or fewer) traveller arriving from:
3. ‘Designated regions’ (high-risk) need to quarantine at a Government hotel for 3 days, and released pending a negative test on the third day.
4. “Non-designated regions” (low-risk) need to quarantine at a self-arranged accommodation* for 7 days. This can be shortened with a negative test from the third day.
*Self arranged accommodation must be suitable locations suggested by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare include:
- Company housing
- Relative/friend’s house
- Short term apartment rentals
The traveller must be able to quarantine without sharing facilities such as a toilet and a bath, sleeping, living, and eating areas. Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare “Q & A on the drastic strengthening of border measures”.
|1||Russia||All of Russia|
|4||India||All of India|
|15||Republic of Korea|
On arrival, the quarantine station provides a document showing the date you are free from self-isolation.
To calculate your quarantine stay, the day of arrival is day zero, and the days are full days.
* Quarantine is 7-days (8 nights).
* Arrival day is day zero. Quarantine days are full days
* High Risk Countries 3 days designated hotel 4 days self arranged location.
* Category 3 High Risk Countries 6 days designated hotel 1 days self arranged location.
* High Risk Countries 10 days designated hotel 0 days self arranged location.
Usage of public transport
– People who are quarantining at home/accommodation may use public transport to get to their place of quarantine within 24 hours of the negative PCR result upon arrival in Japan.
– The movement is limited to the shortest route to your self-arranged quarantine location and must be completed within 24 hours from the inspection at the time of entry (at the time of sample collection)
Close contacts & COVID variants of concern
– Travellers who test positive or are close contacts with an infected person are required to quarantine for 7 days.
– Passengers on the same flight as any individual confirmed with the Omicron variant (within 2 rows) will be considered to have been in close contact and asked to self-quarantine in a hotel and other accommodation facilities.
– Travellers from country/region with a COVID variant of concern, other than the Omicron, the quarantine period is 14 days at a self-arranged location. *However there are no countries/regions currently on this list.
– Travellers testing positive (and close contacts) of a variant of COVID other than Delta or Omicron, the quarantine period is 14 days
Recognized Vaccine and Booster Vaccines
– One shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be recognized the same as two shots of Pfizer (the same applies to Fosun Pharma/Biontech’s COMIRNATY), Moderna, AstraZeneca (the same applies to COVISHIELD of SII) vaccines.
– The only recognized 3rd booster vaccines are Pfizer (the same applies to Fosun Pharma/Biontech’s COMIRNATY) and Moderna.
Quarantine Packages in Tokyo
At MetroResidences, we offer over 2000 serviced apartments in Tokyo. We offer the following types of apartments:
– Weekly apartments that cater to travellers looking for self-quarantine packages with airport transfer.
¥4,993～/day + Haneda ⇒ Apartment in Tokyo ¥15,000
– Monthly serviced apartments where the minimal rental is 30 days – perfect for those looking for a temporary apartment.
– Residential rental for > 1-year apartment rental in Tokyo. Our expat agents specialize in the quality mansion and tower mansion in Tokyo 5 cores wards.
We have brand new apartments that are more spacious than a hotel and come with a kitchen and washing machine, making your stay relaxing. Utilities and WiFi are included in the price and can be used immediately after check-in.
Choose from studios, 1 bedroom and 2 bedrooms. More information on room types can be found on the MetroResidences.
You may also like：
- Quarantine Transportation from Narita and Haneda Airport
- Entry Procedures For Airport in Japan
- Japan’s Visa Requirement for Covid-19
The Return to Japan Support Facebook Group has a helpful community sharing their experiences and advice on their entry into japan including their experiences on the various methods of transport allowed.